Friday, January 30, 2009

Oh Canada! Oliver is officially an international tour :)





Oliver is now officially an international tour. We headed to Kingston Ontario after Ogdensburg. Colin and I rode on the bus to make things easier and Steve followed behind the bus. Everything went well at the border until the border patrol came on the bus and asked if anyone had any mace or pepper spray. Melissa admitted that she had some pepper spray in her purse and when she pulled it out we all cracked up. It was in a pretty bedazzled bottle, lol! The patrol agent made Melissa come off the bus and come into the building. We were all laughing thinking about what they all thought about her bedazzled pepper spray. After quite a while Melissa was released and came back on the bus. Check out the photo I posted of her coming out, I had to rag on her a bit, lol!
Once we got over the border we headed to Kingston. We were so happy to still have Steve with us! Once we got to theatre we discovered that the show was sold out. I didn't bother ordering tickets because we planned on using our backstage passes as usual and just sit in an empty seat. Well when I went to the house manager to ask for seats she told me that there were none available. OK, so for the first time on tour I turned into a stage mom lol! I said, my son is in the show and my husband came all the way from Rochester to see him. We need to get a seat for at least him!So as luck would have it a woman in the balcony was scarred of heights and took the last house seats, but her seats were available. So Steve and I were able to sit together and watch the show :)
Steve left early the next morning and we boarded the bus and headed for Edmondston New Brunswick for a stopover. I discovered during our lunch break that I really should have paid more attention during French class, lol! It took forever to order our lunch. I discovered that corndogs are known as pogos in Canada. It was so neat to see all the buildings and billboard signs in french. When we finally got to the hotel I grabbed a newspaper and discovered it was no good to me because it was all in french lol! Jenn and John enjoyed that they were finally able to use their french. They both came in handy when we all needed a little translation.
We ordered food from the hotel restaurant and ate in our room. We were now in Atlantic time which is one hour ahead of eastern time. For some reason my phone never switched over so when I set my phone alarm for the next morning I set it for an hour earlier thinking that would workout so I was up at the right time. Well, my stupid phone decided to change over to atlantic time sometime during the night and my alarm went off an hour earlier than we needed it to. Of course I didn't look at any of the clocks and Colin and I dragged ourselves out of bed to make sure we made bus call. When we got downstairs the bus was waiting but there was no one else around. We loaded our luggage and went to the hotel restaurant where I spotted Ashley and Michelle having breakfast. After talking with them I realized that we were an hour ahead of schedule! Colin and I were both awake til 2:30am so we really could have used that extra hour of sleep! I really decided that I didn't like Canada when I tried to get money out of the atm. Canada has two seperate cards for debit and credit. When I put my card into the machine it only recognizes it as a creditcard and therefore will not give me any cash!
After another day on the bus we arrived at our hotel in St John New Brunswick. I had a huge bag of laundry so i decided to stay back from the show and get my laundry done. Of course, laundry was more expensive than usual so I used my last $14 in cash to get $1 canadian coins for the laundry. So here I am in Canada with exactly 7 cents to my name until Monday! Thank God my card works for credit at restaurants!
Even I was amazed by all of the snow here. I'm used to snow, but this place is covered! It's very pretty as long as you're inside :)
Tomorrow Colin and I are looking forward to sleeping in. We don't have to head to the show until 7pm and it's a weekend so no school :) Sunday is a Golden Day which means we have a whole day off and can enjoy the SuperBowl. Colin's rooting for the Steeler's and I myself prefer the commercials!
We hit the one month mark until we go home and have mixed emotions. We're so excited to get home and be with the rest of our family and friends, but at the same time are going to miss our wonderful tour family and this whole experience.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Your so lucky you have Sunday off. I have rehearsal 9-5 on Sunday. I'm so not looking forward to it lol.

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see you guys in Lowell!!! keep enjoying what you're doing, its almost over!!
Jenn